Mosquitoes are attracted to a multitude of things. While some people’s chemical compounds attract mosquitoes, other compounds may repel them. It depends on the person and their particular combination of factors. Things like bacteria, dirt, sweat, perfume, or blood type can all be factors. Some of the things that can attract mosquitoes include:
- Sweat – Female mosquitoes are attracted to humid areas because they need water to reproduce. Sweat also enhances the naturally occurring chemicals on the skin. For people with attractive chemical compounds, this can increase the bug’s attraction to them.
- Pregnant women – Mosquitoes, like other blood-sucking bugs, can detect the CO2 that we exhale as we breathe. Pregnant women exhale twice as much CO2 as other humans making them easier for mosquitoes to detect and target.
- Consuming alcoholic beverages – It’s said that when humans drink alcohol, they produce chemicals that attract mosquitoes.
- Dark clothing – Mosquitoes can see dark clothes better than light ones and can target accordingly.
- Blood type – Research shows that type O blood people are 83% more likely to attract mosquitoes.
- Body temp – Mosquitoes can detect body heat meaning that the hotter you are, the easier you are for mosquitoes to find.
- Perfumes and fragrances – Male mosquitoes and some female mosquitoes feed on nectars so floral fragrances and perfumes attract them as well.
- Potassium, salt, and lactic acid – It’s proven that these chemicals attract mosquitos so people who consume a lot of potassium, salt, and lactic acid are more likely to attract mosquitoes than those who don’t.
If mosquitoes are a recurring and frustrating issue, call Hill Country Pest Control Kerrville today for a free consultation. We offer several services and can find the best fit for you to lower the population quickly on your property.